Civilian Pay Technician US Department of Veterans Affairs Los Angeles
Short Description :30 semester hours, 45 quarter hours, or the equivalent in a college or university, or at least 20 hours of classroom instruction per week for approximately 36 weeks in a business, secretarial, or technical school Knowledge of filing, ,…
Full Description :
- Audit and reconcile time and attendance records to ensure accuracy of paid hours and premium pay for employees appointed under each personnel system
- Research and code changes to employees' records and perform
- Perform work related to maintaining payroll records, applying pay laws, regulations and policy, researching night differential, overtime, com time, holiday, or weekend premium issues
- Determine the completeness, accuracy, internal consistency and propriety of pay actions and ensure that the actions are in accordance with rules, regulations, guidance, and instructions
- Audit transactions to ensure employee's pay/leave is correct
- Research individual leave records; conduct annual or semi-annual audits; and review current time and attendance documents
- Assist with training of new timekeepers and certifiers and provide information regarding pay and leave to employees and their supervisors
- Respond to written and verbal inquiries from employees, supervisors, payroll staff, and GLA management
- Utilize knowledge and skills required to effectively implement the Green Environmental Management System (GEMS)
- Job family (Series)
0544 Civilian Pay
RequirementsRequirements Conditions of Employment
- You must be a U.S. Citizen to apply for this job
- Designated and/or random drug testing may be required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- You may be required to serve a probationary period
- Subject to background/security investigation
- Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process
You may qualify based on your experience and/or education as described below:
- GS-05 Specialized Experience: You must have one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the next lower grade GS-04 in the normal line of progression for the occupation in the organization. Examples of specialized experience would typically include, but are not limited to: processing pay and leave actions by utilizing various automated pay systems; recording, reconciling, and balancing pay data by various categories for accounting, budget, production, or other management purposes; making retroactive adjustments and tracing errors which involve correction of pay and extensive research; applying knowledge of rules, regulations, and practices relating to civilian pay and time and leave; creating and maintaining reports related to employees' pay and leave; and keeping abreast of a broad range of pay plans, different types of appointment and work schedule, and employment situations and conditions. (This experience must be supported by your resume to be creditable.) OR,
- GS-05 Education: Applicants may substitute education for the required experience. To qualify based on education for this grade level you must have four (4) years of successfully completed education above the high school level in any field for which high school graduation or the equivalent is the normal prerequisite is creditable. NOTE: This education must have been obtained in an accredited business, secretarial or technical school, junior college, college or university. One year of full-time academic study is defined as 30 semester hours, 45 quarter hours, or the equivalent in a college or university, or at least 20 hours of classroom instruction per week for approximately 36 weeks in a business, secretarial, or technical school. (UNOFFICIAL TRANSCRIPT REQUIRED: If you do not submit your transcript, your application may not be reviewed.) OR,
- GS-05 Combination: Applicants may also combine education and experience to qualify at this level. You must have a combination of specialized experience and education beyond the first 60 semester hours (i.e., beyond the second year), which is creditable toward meeting the specialized experience requirement. NOTE: One full academic year of study (30 semester hours) beyond the second year is equivalent to 6 months of specialized experience.(UNOFFICIAL TRANSCRIPT REQUIRED: If you do not submit your transcript, your application may not be reviewed.)
- GS-06 Specialized Experience: You must have one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the next lower grade (GS-05) in the normal line of progression for the occupation in the organization. Specialized experience is an experience that equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities (KSA's) to perform successfully the duties of the position, and that is typically in or related to the position to be filled. Qualifying examples of specialized experience would typically include, but are not limited to: applying knowledge of payroll processing language, procedures, restrictions, corresponding benefits, and options available to process with oversight of a full range of actions; working independently and making independent judgment with an extensive set of rules, regulations, and practices relating to civilian pay, covering a complicated block of accounts or cases and/or broad knowledge of an extensive set of time and leave rules, regulations, and practices; applying a broad knowledge of the structure of master record files and the interrelationships between the various items within these files, of the computer system and the various products of that system; coding for the automated systems, to enter data and to correct errors in pay actions and follow up requirements; utilizing the computerized application of the system, to know when to enter certain transactions and what effect entries will have on other account items; and typing in order to type payroll action forms, statistical reports, and routine correspondence responding to requests for information or requesting information. (This experience must be supported by your resume to be creditable.)
- Attention to Detail: Ability to be through when performing work and conscientious about attending to detail
- Customer Service: Skill in working and communicating with clients and customers to satisfy their expectations
- Flexibility: Ability to open to change and new information; adapt behavior and work methods in response to new information, changing conditions, or unexpected obstacles; and effectively deal with pressure and ambiguity
- Problem Solving: Skill in identifying and analyzing problems; using sound reasoning to arrive at conclusions; finding alternative solutions to complex problems; and distinguishing between relevant and irrelevant information to make logical judgments
- Clerical: Knowledge of filing, typing, entering data, maintaining records, taking shorthand, and using and completing forms
Note: A full year of work is considered to be 35-40 hours of work per week. Part-time experience will be credited on the basis of time actually spent in appropriate activities. Applicants wishing to receive credit for such experience must indicate clearly the nature of their duties and responsibilities in each position and the number of hours a week spent in such employment.
Physical Requirements: The work is normally of a sedentary nature, although the employee may occasionally carry light items such as books, files, and reports form one office to another. Typically, the work is performed while comfortable seated at a desk or table. No special physical demands are required to perform the work.
For more information on these qualification standards, please visit the United States Office of Personnel Management's website at https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/. Education
A transcript must be submitted with your application if you are basing all or part of your qualifications on education.Additional information
Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html.
VA supports the use of telework as a way to help attract and retain talented individuals in public service, increase worker productivity, and better prepare the agency to operate during emergencies. This position may be authorized for telework. Telework eligibility will be discussed during the interview process.How You Will Be Evaluated
Receiving Service Credit or Earning Annual (Vacation) Leave: Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. VA may offer newly-appointed Federal employee's credit for their job-related non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which they earn annual leave. Such credit must be requested and approved prior to the appointment date and is not guaranteed.
Special Employment Consideration: VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply, including those eligible for hiring under 5 CFR 213.3102(u), Schedule A, Appointment of persons with disabilities [i.e., intellectual disabilities, severe physical disabilities, or psychiatric disabilities], and/or Disabled veterans with a compensable service-connected disability of 30% or more. Contact the Agency Contact for information on how to apply under this appointment authority via the Selective Placement Coordinator.
The Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP) and Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP) provide eligible displaced Federal/VA competitive service employees with selection priority over other candidates for competitive service vacancies. To be qualified you must submit appropriate documentation (a copy of the agency notice, your most recent performance rating, and your most recent SF-50 noting current position, grade level, and duty location) and be found well-qualified for this vacancy. To be well-qualified: applicants must possess experience that exceeds the minimum qualifications of the position including all selective factors, and who are proficient in most of the required competencies of the job. Information about ICTAP and CTAP eligibility is on OPM's Career Transition Resources website at http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/workforce-restructuring/employee-guide-to-career-transition/.
Placement Policy: The posting of this announcement does not obligate management to fill a vacancy or vacancies by promotion. The position may be filled by reassignment, change to lower grade, transfer, appointment, or reinstatement. Management may use any one or any combination of these methods to fill the position.
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
Veterans and Transitioning Service Members: Please visit the VA for Vets site for career-search tools for Veterans seeking employment at VA, career development services for our existing Veterans, and coaching and reintegration support for military service members.
For more information on the "Who may apply" eligibility requirements, please refer to the OHRM Status Candidates and Other Candidate Definitions document.
If you are unable to apply online view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE WILL NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE.Background checks and security clearance Security clearance
Narrative responses are not required at this time. If you are referred for consideration, you may be asked to submit additional job related information, which may include, but not limited to; responses to the knowledge, skills and abilities; completion of a work sample, and/or contact for an interview.Your resume and/or supporting documentation will be verified. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating or consideration for employment.
OtherDrug test required
Required DocumentsRequired Documents
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
The following documents are accepted, and may be required if applicable to your eligibility and/or qualifications for this position. Please use this checklist to make sure you have included other documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), SF-50's (current/former Federal employees), documentation to support Veterans Preference claims, or ICTAP/CTAP documentation (for displaced Federal employees). You will not be contacted for additional information.
- Cover Letter
- DD-214/ Statement of Service
- Disability Letter (Schedule A)
- Disability Letter (VA)
- PCS Orders
- Performance Appraisal
- Proof of Marriage Status
- Separation Notice (RIF)
- SF-50/ Notification of Personnel Action
SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action (if applicable for Time in Grade and/or Eligibility):
- Most recent SF-50 if you are a current or former Federal employee
- An SF-50 showing your time-in-grade eligibility must be submitted with your application materials. If the most recent SF-50 has an effective date within the past year, it may not clearly demonstrate you possess one-year time-in-grade, as required by the announcement. In this instance, you must provide an additional SF-50 that clearly demonstrates one-year time-in-grade
- Award 50's do not provide sufficient information and will not be accepted for the purpose of verifying time-in-grade.
- Examples of appropriate SF-50's include:
- Within grade increases at the highest grade held; or
- Promotions with an effective date more than one year old; or
- SF-50's at the highest grade held with an effective date more than one year old.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
This is an external announcement. Current, permanent facility employee should apply under [CBFF-10847058-20-AJH].
There are two (2) positions located in the Financial Management Service at VA Greater Los Angeles (GLA) Healthcare SystemWest Los Angeles Medical Center in Los Angeles, CA, composes a career ladder structure to the full performance level of Civilian Pay Technician.
The Civilian Pay Technician performs assignments related to proper application of pay regulations effecting GLA employees, provide clerical support, and maintain pay, time and leave postings and processes for GLA Payroll. This is a developmental position. The key functions will be similar to those described at the full performance level of the target position. However, during the developmental assignment, full performance range and level of selected functions will not be completely delegated to the employee until proper orientation and training have been completed and the incumbent has demonstrated the knowledge, skills and abilities necessary to accomplish the work at the full performance level. Major duties and functions include but are not limited to:
Work Schedule: Monday to Friday, 08:00 a.m. to 04:30 p.m.
Compressed/Flexible: Not Available
Telework: Partial telework may be available.
Virtual: This is not a virtual position.
Position Description/PD#: Civilian Pay Technician/PD10345A and PD10340A
Relocation/Recruitment Incentives: Not Authorized
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required Travel Required
Not requiredSupervisory status
Help This job is open to
- Career transition (CTAP, ICTAP, RPL)
Federal employees who meet the definition of a "surplus" or "displaced" employee.
- Federal employeesCompetitive service
Current or former competitive service federal employees.
- Federal employeesExcepted service
Current excepted service federal employees.
- Individuals with disabilities
- Internal to an agency
Current federal employees of this agency.
- Military spouses
Status (Current permanent employees of the Department of VA including Title 38, Title 38 Hybrid, & Canteen employees serving on excepted appointments; All federal employees serving on a Career/Career-Conditional appointment; Former competitive civil service employees eligible for reinstatement; Veterans eligible under the VEOA, as 30% Disabled Veterans, and under a VRA; Eligible under Employment Program for People with Disabilities; Eligible under Military Spouse; Eligible under CTAP/ICTAP)
Please note that we do not accept any CV submissions. If You want to apply for a job that you have discovered on erokko-club.com, simply click on the provided job application link and follow the instructions afterwards. You'll be taken to a more detailed page.