Chemist US Other Agencies and Independent Organizations Arlington
Short Description :Dates, expected discharge/release date, campaign medals/badges, and character of service a certification is any written document from the armed forces that certifies you are expected to be discharged/released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 ,…
Full Description :
- Serves as a technical expert in the chemical analysis of environmental samples.
- Defines and oversees quality assurance programs and quality assurance tools that support environmental sample analysis used in cleanup programs.
- Serves as a technical team member to identify, plan, and execute project goals that address the analytical and data quality needs of the program.
- Serve as representative to the laboratory community, EPA, contractors, governmental and non-governmental workgroups or committees on analytical testing protocols and data validation of environmental samples.
- Job family (Series)
RequirementsRequirements Conditions of Employment
- If you are selected, a pre-employment background check is required.
- You must submit a resume and required documents-see How to Apply section.
- Position has education requirements-see Qualifications/Education section.
- You must submit a resume and required documents-see How to Apply section.
- EPA and non-EPA applicants must submit transcripts/course listings.
This position is designated as Low Risk and requires a background investigation. Unless an appropriate background investigation is already on record with the Office of Personnel Management, you must undergo a background investigation.
You must meet time in grade requirements no later than 30 calendar days after the closing date of this announcement.Qualifications
In addition to the educational requirements, we are looking for at least one year of specialized experience related to this position as described below:
To qualify for the GS-12 level, you need to have at least one year of full-time experience equivalent to the GS-11 level defined as experience working with teams, providing expertise in analytical chemistry and methods relevant to environmental samples and cleanup programs, experience with laboratory quality assurance systems, and skills in effective oral and written communication.
To qualify for the GS-13 level, you need to have at least one year of full-time experience equivalent to the GS-12 level defined as as experience working with and leading teams, providing expertise in analytical chemistry and methods relevant to environmental samples and cleanup programs, experience with laboratory quality assurance systems, and skills in effective oral and written communication.
Your answers to the online assessment will be used to evaluate your competencies in the following areas:
- Knowledge of analytical chemistry methods relevant to environmental cleanup programs.
- Knowledge of quality assurance and quality control procedures used in the environmental sample analysis.
- Knowledge in the application of quality systems relative to the collection and analysis of environmental samples.
- Skill in reviewing environmental laboratory data reports.
- Skill in reviewing quality assurance protocols and corrective action measures.
- Skill in organizing and leading teams, plan projects, and delivering results on schedule.
- Skill in preparing and delivering oral and written communications effectively and efficiently to peers, management, and external partners.
- Ability to establish and work in a cooperative atmosphere.
- Ability to explain and discuss problems, solutions, and areas of improvement with team members, team leaders and management.
- Ability to develop and apply decision making criteria to ensure resulting product meets objectives and will withstand scientific challenge.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional, philanthropic, religious, spiritual, community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.Education
If you have part-time work experience, read this: EPA Announcement Policies and Procedures.
You need a degree or combination of education and experience as described below to qualify for this position.
A bachelor’s degree from an accredited or pre-accredited college or university in one of the following; physical sciences, life sciences, or engineering that included 30 semester hours in chemistry, supplemented by course work in mathematics through differential and integral calculus, and at least 6 semester hours of physics; OR a combination of education and experience with education equivalent to one of the majors listed that included the described course work.
This position is in the bargaining unit.
Are you a Displaced Federal Employee? If so, please read the Required Documents section and visit the EPA website for additional information: EPA Announcement Policies and Procedures
EPA participates in E-Verify. E-Verify is an Internet based system operated by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) in partnership with the Social Security Administration (SSA) that enables participating employers to electronically verify the employment eligibility of their newly hired employees. For additional information: EPA Announcement Policies and Procedures.
If you are selected, travel, transportation, and relocation expenses will not be paid by EPA. Any travel, transportation, and relocation expenses associated with reporting to work in this position will be your responsibility.
Except in special circumstances, those new to the federal government will be hired at the starting salary (step 1) of the applicable grade range listed above.
Position has portable work and selectee may be authorized to telework after meeting eligibility requirements if approved by the supervisor/manager.How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
We will review your resume and required documents to ensure you meet the basic qualification requirements. Your resume must address the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed in the Qualifications section. If you meet basic qualification requirements, your application will be further evaluated based on your answers to the online assessment. Your responses to the online assessment will be used to measure the degree to which your background matches the requirements for the position and an applicable score assigned.To preview questions please click here.
We will compare your resume and supporting documentation to your responses on the assessment questionnaire. If you rate yourself higher than is supported by your application materials, your responses may be adjusted and/or you may be excluded from consideration for this job. We will evaluate your qualifications and eligibility and notify you if you meet minimum qualification requirements. If you are referred for consideration, you may be subject to additional assessments.
NOTE: We do not require a separate statement responding to the competencies, also referred to as Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSAs). However, your resume should clearly show possession of these competencies.
Background checks and security clearance Security clearance
Not RequiredDrug test required
NoPosition sensitivity and risk
Non-sensitive (NS)/Low RiskTrust determination process
Required DocumentsRequired Documents Documents to be submitted online:
NOTE: You should ensure your social security number, date of birth, and any other personal information are redacted.
- -Resume clearly stating your experience related to this position as described in the Duties section and Qualifications section. In describing your experience, you need to be clear and specific. We may not make assumptions regarding your experience.
-Responses to the online assessment questionnaire (you must complete this onlineit is not a document you need to upload).
-College transcriptsrequired to submit either unofficial transcripts or a list of courses that includes school(s) attended, school address, course title, grades earned, completion dates, department, and quarter or semester hours earned. NOTE: Official educational transcripts are not required at the time of application; however, if you are selected, you must provide official transcripts before you start work with EPA.
-Veterans' Preference DocumentsDD-214 Member 4 copy (or other copy indicating character of service), VA letter stating overall/combined disability rating (percentage), and SF-15, if applicable (see page 2 of the SF-15 for documents that can be submitted in lieu of the DD-214 and VA letter); active duty service members: submit certification from the armed forces documenting active duty dates, expected discharge/release date, campaign medals/badges, and character of service (a certification is any written document from the armed forces that certifies you are expected to be discharged/released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after you submit the certification).
- -Displaced Federal employees under ICTAP/CTAP: copy of your most recent performance appraisal, proof of eligibility, and your most current SF-50 noting position, grade level, tenure, and duty station.
- -Current and Former Federal Employees: You are required to submit Notification(s) of Personnel Action (SF-50) that includes Position Title, Grade or Level, and Duty Station. The SF-50(s) must prove you are eligible to apply for the position and have met time-in grade:
- ELIGIBILITYYou must provide SF-50(s) demonstrating that you meet the criteria in the Clarification from the Agency section at the top right of this announcement. (The most common eligibility requirements are Competitive Status [Block 24/Tenure and Block 34/Position Occupied on SF-50] and In the Commuting Area [Block 39/Duty Station on the SF-50].)
- TIME-IN-GRADEIf you are applying for a higher grade, you must provide SF-50(s) demonstrating you have completed a minimum of 52 weeks in a position at the next lower grade. The next lower grade is identified in the Qualifications section of this announcement. (Some examples of SF-50s that can prove you’ve met time-in-grade include promotions, within-grade increases, and SF-50s dated a year apart within the same grade/job.)
- -Current Federal Employees: You are required to submit your most recent completed annual performance appraisal, dated within the last 18 months (if it is not dated within the last 18 months, or you have not received a performance appraisal, you must upload a signed/dated explanation why). NOTE: You only need to upload the page that shows the overall rating and signature, not the entire document. NOTE DURING COVID-19 WORK FLEXIBILITIES: If your hard copy performance appraisal is not available due to current telework requirements/recommendations, you must check your eOPF. If you are unable to access your eOPF, contact your servicing HR office for assistance. If your performance appraisal document is not in your eOPF, you must upload a signed/dated explanation clarifying why the documentation is not available due to telework.
- -If you are applying for a noncompetitive appointment, you'll need to submit additional documents to prove your eligibility to apply to this vacancy announcement. If you want to learn more about noncompetitive appointments, visit OPM's website: Special Appointment Authorities.
If you want to know more about submitting documentation to our office, visit EPA's website: EPA Announcement Policies and Procedures.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Join EPA in protecting human health and the environment and enjoy many work life quality options! Working for the EPA offers you a comprehensive benefits package that includes, in part, paid vacation, sick leave, holidays, life insurance, health benefits, and participation in the Federal Employees Retirement System. To learn more about us, visit Life and Careers at EPA.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
This position is in the Office of Land and Emergency Management, Office of Superfund Remediation & Technology Innovation, Technology Innovation and Field Services Division, Analytical Service Branch. If selected, you must work at the location stated in this announcement. About OLEM:Responsibilities
At the entry level of this position, you will:
When entering a Federal job at a grade level lower than the highest promotion potential level, you may be promoted to more complex duties and work more independently, as your career progresses.
You will spend less than 25% of your work time on contracts, grants/cooperative agreements, and/or interagency agreements.
One or more positions may be filled.Travel Required
Occasional travel25% or lessSupervisory status
Help This job is open to
- Individuals with disabilities
- Federal employeesCompetitive service
Current or former competitive service federal employees.
- Career transition (CTAP, ICTAP, RPL)
Federal employees who meet the definition of a "surplus" or "displaced" employee.
- Land & base management
Certain current or former term or temporary federal employees of a land or base management agency.
- Military spouses
- Peace Corps & AmeriCorps Vista
- Special authorities
Individuals eligible under a special authority not listed above, but defined in the federal hiring regulations.
-Current federal employee with competitive status; reinstatement eligible; ICTAP/CTAP eligible -Current/former federal employee eligible under miscellaneous act/authority/agreement (e.g., land management, postal service, interchange agreement) -Veteran who is preference eligible or has separated from the armed forces under honorable conditions after 3 years or more of continuous active service -Applicant eligible for noncompetitive appointment (e.g., Schedule A, Peace Corps, VRA) -PHS Officer
Please note that we do not accept any CV submissions. If You want to apply for a job that you have discovered on erokko-club.com, simply click on the provided job application link and follow the instructions afterwards. You'll be taken to a more detailed page.